The Hoverman UHF Antenna
An older design repurposed to Digital TV
First off, none of this is my original work; I'm reposting the GPLed files here for convenience only, along with some links to the original sources. The original antenna was designed by Doyt Hoverman and patented in 1959 (and a unidirectional version patented in 1964). The 1965 patent expired in 1984.
The antenna is broadband and althought it's designed for UHF TV channels (with gain), it will also receive VHF channels.
- Refer to the following links for more information:
- GPL'ed version, with performance, analysis and construction information
- Original source for the complete instructions on building a Hoverman
These are just local copies of other files I've found on constructing a Hoverman Antenna. I've put them here just because I'm too lazy to chase them down when I want to look at them.
- (LARGE: 22 mb) WSYR-TV's Complete Instructions, GPL'ed - this is the PVC and hardware cloth version
- Parts List from WSYR-TV's article
- Pipe Cutting Detail from WSYR-TV's article
- Antenna Drawing from WSYR-TV's article; as per WSYR's excellent Instructions, this can be printed full-sized at Kinkos, in ANSI "E" size (34" x 44") - at 100% scaling.
- Single-Bay dimensions, from the excellent DigitalHome.ca GPL'ed information
- Double-Bay dimensions, also from the excellent DigitalHome.ca GPL'ed information